Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Soul Corner - Darlene Love "Lean On Me"

There is this terrific article in the current New Yorker Magazine about the singer Darlene Love. Love is one of the subjects of a new documentary getting excellent reviews "20 Feet From Stardom" about great backup singers.  We will see this film at our first opportunity and you should too.

Meanwhile, check out this recent performance by Darlene Love of "Lean On Me" on David Letterman. Wow.

I cannot get my head around the fact that Phil Spector had Love sing the vocal on the classic 1963 hit "He's A Rebel" but then credited the song to the Crystals.  


Darlene Love is perhaps best known for one of the great Christmas pop songs of all time, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)". But here's my favorite, also from 1963 "(Today I Met) The Boy I Want To Marry":

And her she is with one of her bigest fans, Bruce Springsteen:

It's Darlene Love appreciation day here at the Soul Corner and WYMA.

No comments: