Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Mammoth Penguins - Hide and Seek



If Emma Kupa is stalking us, we aren't complaining.  Her musical work first appeared here a few years ago with her former band, Standard Fare.  Then last year we covered Home Cinema, her EP for WIAIWYA.  Now, she is back with Mark Boxall and Tom Barden as Mammoth Penguins.  On their debut Hide and Seek the Cambridge, UK-based trio offer 12 exuberant songs with bright guitar tones, scrappy ambition and confidence.  The vocals are heartfelt, the lyrics wry but sincere.  Focusing on life as late twenty-somethings, there is understandable introspection, and maybe a few self-criticisms.  But this trio loves a fast pace and embraces the noisier aspects of their art, so as a whole the package is fun and satisfying regardless of whether you find yourself in the same place in your life.  For my part, I find that after each listen I find myself feeling better than when I started.  Since I'm not a dumb guy, my conclusion is that I need to keep listening to Hide and Seek.





Hide and Seek is out now via Fortuna POP!

Website
Facebook
Twitter
Fortuna POP!



No comments: