Tuesday, May 19, 2015

A Sudden Burst of Colour - Waves Will Rise On Silent Water


Generally, I like my music with lyrics.  That doesn't mean I study the lyrics, or even can distinguish all of the words.  But I am accustomed to listening to pop music with lyrics, and I don't actively seek out instrumentals (for this discussion, I am excluding techno and dub reggae).  But today I received a lesson about the dangers of being too rigid, because I almost overlooked A Sudden Burst of Colour.  In fact, if it hadn't been of the eye-catching name of the band, I probably wouldn't have listened at all.  It would have been my loss, and, if you rely on me for recommendations in new music, your loss as well.  This four piece from Motherwell, Scotland has crafted a soaring, engaging, multi-layered kaleidoscope of sounds titled Waves Will Rise On Silent Water.  Just four songs (albeit with a 25:30 running time), but I suggest that it will be one of the more thrilling musical journeys you have experienced in a while.  Evocative and intricate, it had me captivated from start to finish.

I've provided a couple of tracks below, but you can stream and buy the entire EP at the Bandcamp link below.  A Sudden Burst of Colour are Luke Duncan (guitar), Callum Brand (guitar), Liam Shaw (drums), and Calum Farquharson (bass).





Website
Facebook
Bandcamp
Soundcloud

No comments: